Let’s face it, most of the months you visit Walt Disney World are going to be hot! But there is no hotter time to visit Walt Disney World than during June-August and sometimes even September can be clustered into that “hot” time frame. While everything about a Disney vacation is just so magical…the heat is not. There are ways you can beat the heat during these hot months.
Sit back, relax and get an ice cold beverage in hand as we discuss ways to beat the heat at Walt Disney World!!
Wake up early
Ok folks I know that on vacation that waking up early is not the most appetizing scenario out there but if you are trying to beat that Florida heat this is truly your best option. With the parks being much more crowded during the summer months not only will you beat the heat when you wake up early, but you will also beat the crowds. The mornings at Disney are much cooler you will find you can get a lot done between park open and 11:00 AM. Then you can eat lunch at 11:00 and beat the lunch crowd. Hey, was that just a two for one piece of advice? :0) By noon the heat is on!!
Make a splash
Whether you are staying on or off property most likely you are going to have a swimming pool that you can use. Take advantage of cooling off and relaxing in your resort pool for some refreshing fun!! Your body will thank you later. After swimming you and the kiddos will be ready to go back to the room for a quick rest before heading back to the park.
There are several items you can have on hand to help you stay cool or refreshed. Last week I was at Target and found the coolest misters in the Dollar Spot. Unfortunately, these misters were not a dollar they were in the $2.50 section but still well worth the price. I just LOVE this mister because it is much easier to carry around and you do not get soaked with it. In addition to misters you should also have the following items with you:
- Sun block(be sure to reapply frequently)
- Cool clothing (workout clothes are the best because they dry very quickly. These can be found very inexpensive at Target and Walmart)
- Plenty of water (did you know that all counter service locations will give you a glass of ice water for FREE?) Read my recent article about Saving Money and Staying Healthy at Disney World.
Utilize park amenities
If you are going to stay at the parks during the heat, make sure you know all of the amenities out there to help you stay cool. One great thing is that Disney has a TON of indoor attractions. The only park that has limited shade and air-conditioning is Animal Kingdom. Many of the parks have water rides that you can enjoy and cool off on at the same time. In addition to attractions that may get you wet, all parks even have misters for your cooling pleasure.
Attractions that you may get wet on:
- Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom
- Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom
Mister stations around the world
- Tomorrowland Cool Scanner
- Step under the camel at The Magic Carpets of Aladdin at Magic Kingdom, the camel has such bad manners and spits at you..haha.
- There are Tiki’s in Adventureland that have misters and randomly shoot out streams of water. The kids have a blast at this one!! Okay so do I!!
- There is a splash pad located in Future World just by Mission Space and Test Track. Make sure you bring extra clothes for your little ones as they will get soaked here.
- If you do not want to get soaked, there are misters right by Ellen’s Energy Adventure in Future World.
- Cool Wash is one of my favorites!! It is located right by Test Track…this is not a place where you will get soaked but offers misters and a ton of car fun!
- There are more misters located on the pathway as you walk from Future World to World Showcase.
- There is a large set of misters located near Tamu Tamu Refreshments in Africa.
- This one is a magical secret but there is an umbrella that represents the Singing in the Rain scene with Gene Kelly. Not only does standing under it make for a great photo but give that thing a pull and see what happens….haha.
- There is a large Coke display in font of the Backlot Tour that sprays water…fun!!
Did somebody say sweet treat?
I did!! We all love an excuse to have a sweet treat, so take advantage of it while you can. Everyone loves a good Dole Whip or Dole Whip Float…..or are you a Mickey Premium Bar eater???
Some other favorites are:
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana
- Orange Juice Bar-Animal Kingdom
The evening hours are the best!!
Summer time at Disney is like any other place in the world…it is a party! Most often you will find that the parks close significantly later than usual during summer months. I highly recommend that you take advantage of these hours. It will be so much more pleasant to be completely out of the sun. I know, you are thinking, didn’t you tell us to get up early and now you also want us to stay out late?
Here is our typical schedule…you never know…it may work for you too.
- Get up early and arrive at the park of choice about 15 minutes before they open.
- Spend the morning there until about 11:00.
- Get lunch at 11:00.
- Head back to resort for a short swim and nap. :0)
- Wake up get ready for our dinner reservation and head back to the parks for a night of fun!!
We have found this method to work great for us! We are all refreshed and ready to go…and we even beat the heat!
At the end of the day always remember you are at Walt Disney World. If the heat is making you tired and uncomfortable, take a break. Don’t let the heat take away from you having a magical time.
See ya real soon!!